Construction of a new tyne tunnel crossing was completed in 2011 to help alleviate congestion at the original Tyne Tunnel which was originally opened in 1967.
S and B EPS supplied 35 grammes per litre fill 100 blocks, cut to specified sizes to fill a void at the southern entrance to the tunnel to help reduce the total weight of fill material required
In total over 3000 cu-m of Expanded polystyrene was in the construction of the required void formers.
The ability of S and B eps to supply the required material on time and in the correct sequence was required to allow the project to be completed on schedule
Fact – Mr Henry Smith (C.E.O) Father worked on the first tunnel back in 1951 with Henry Smith and Son Darren Smith following suit in 2011 on Tyne tunnel 2.
With S and B originating in North Shields we are proud to have supplied our material to both North and South tunnels and help ease congestion in the North East